Wednesday, June 1, 2011

ps3 media server : Playstation 3 Media Server Setup

My digital media was scattered among various drives, computers, and discs. I wanted seamless central control over all of it, so I decided to use my Sony PlayStation 3 as a media hub, with my 40-inch Samsung HDTV as a monitor. Now I can view or listen to all my photos, videos, and music via my TV screen, no matter where they are. Here’s a guide to building a digital media command center in your living room.

In the PS3′s main menu, navigate to Settings – Network Settings – Internet Connection, press X on your SixAxis controller and select Enabled. Then go to Internet Connection Settings (also under Network Settings), and select your network name (SSID). Enter the network password if you have one.
Internet Connection Settings Screenshot
Internet Connection Settings Screenshot
If you have the original WiFi-less PS3 20GB, you can still connect it to your network by plugging the console into your router or extender (like an Apple Airport Express) via Ethernet cable.

Bonus Points: A Logitech diNovo mini Bluetooth keyboard comes in very handy for entering network passwords and any other text. There’s a complete guide to pairing and using it with a PS3 here.The pairing process is very similar to setting up a Bluetooth headset on a cell phone. You can check out our full Logitech diNovo mini review.
Logitech DiNovo mini

1 comment:

  1. My agenda media was broadcast a part of assorted drives, computers, and discs. I capital seamless axial ascendancy over all of it, so I absitively to use my Sony PlayStation 3 as a media hub, with my 40-inch Samsung HDTV as a monitor.

    Playstation 3 slim

    ReplyDelete